Wednesday 15 May 2024

Aries - Pin Removal in Situ

 


This was a bit experimental. The vertical bearing was getting sticky again, and I was trying to think of a way of getting at it that didn't involve removing the whole assembly and taking it home. The method worked (just about) but I would probably use a better puller in the future. The hose clip turned out to be a fairly useless way of keeping the legs in place ....

I pushed the pin out in this direction, because I thought pushing it back in from the rear would be easier than pushing it in from this side. I'll need to have room to swing a hammer, and to set up the gear puller around the projecting pin.



This is it about half way. I've used the full extension of the gear puller.


And the pin has moved an inch or two .


So I added a brass drift to push it further.


Once I got to this stage I was having trouble keeping everything aligned while I tightened the puller, so I switched to a longer drift and a hammer to move it the last half inch or so to allow the pendulum structure to fall out (and be caught by the control lines).


I left the pin projecting from the rear part of the frame - I didn't take it right out, because I thought that might make reassembly difficult. I left a bag under it in case it fell out. (Unlikely, but really annoying if it did ...)

I won't know whether or not this is an easier method than taking the whole assembly off and taking it home until I've put everything back in place. There might be some reassembly hitches.

One advantage of doing it this way is that it can be done (with care) on a mooring or alongside. On a calm day.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Bow Light

My bow light packed in on day one of the trip (overnight sail from Portsoy to Clachnaharry). It was a Lalizas FOS 20m LED unit - completely ...