Tuesday 18 January 2022

Raasay's Prop Shaft


Somewhat inspired by the 'Sailing Brothers' ugly discovery when they checked their Cutless bearing prior to their Atlantic Crossing, I thought it was about time to have a look at Raasay's prop shaft. The bearing definitely needed replacing, and I was worried about what I might find - particularly since it looks as though the prop shaft can only be withdrawn with the engine removed (which is what the Brothers found).

Raasay's prop shaft isn't showing signs of cracks or fissures (to the naked eye), but there are definite signs of pitting and wear. And the taper has some damage (see 'A thought-provoking prop failure ...').

It might (false hope?) be easier to replace that I thought, though. With the prop and bearing removed, two things seem clear: the shaft is slightly angled to starboard, and there is a fair bit of movement (even without disconnecting the inboard end). I think I can get it out past the rudder skeg ...

If I can, I'll get quotes for replacement or repair. If not, I'll investigate getting the pitting repaired in situ.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Overdue Cosmetics ... ?

  The companionway steps have been pretty manky for a long time. I took them home to get them sanded and re-varnished - Angus did the work, ...