Sunday 24 March 2024

Overdue Cosmetics ... ?

 


The companionway steps have been pretty manky for a long time. I took them home to get them sanded and re-varnished - Angus did the work, and substantially exceeded expectations.

The piece of mahogany on top of the table saw bench is a new lid for the stern cockpit locker. The piece on the floor to the right is the 'shelf' I put at the front of the cockpit (like a bridge deck) to create a space for putting things down and under. I think there is a photo of it somewhere in this blog...

Both pieces of mahogany came from the counter in my grandfather's photography shop (now long gone), so definitely recycled. I may get one or two other useful sections out of it, although it has some damage and quite a bit of surface 'patina'. If it was perfect it would just look wrong on Raasay, in any case.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Varnish ...

Some new/refurbished items. The old locker lid was on the point of failure, and I had this nice piece of mahogany ... The cockpit step is fr...