Friday 28 July 2017

Friday - Ballyholme Bay to Red Bay


A shortish hop to get me in the right place to take tomorrow morning's tide (4am, ugh) to Islay, and possibly make some further progress with the afternoon tide.

I had a strong tidal lift all the way up until I started to enter the bay, and then met overfalls off Garron Head. It was still a couple of hours before low water, so I was a bit puzzled. For the last two or three miles into the bay I was fighting a strong current (3 knots plus). This may be a local eddy caused by the bay, or a feature of the contrary stream that runs along that coast near the turn of the tide.

However, I am now anchored, and things are fairly peaceful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Varnish ...

Some new/refurbished items. The old locker lid was on the point of failure, and I had this nice piece of mahogany ... The cockpit step is fr...