Saturday 24 July 2021

Well.

I got to Kyle of Lochalsh and got oil (courtesy of a friend who delivered it to the shore for me). I topped up the engine.

And the starter motor failed completely. At first, I could hear the Bendix/solenoid doing something, but the motor just whined and didn't turn the engine. Then I just heard the whine - which didn't stop when I released the starter button.

So I started investigating ways of getting a replacement starter motor delivered.

I could get one in 48 hours in Aberdeen, but in Skye and the West it seemed like it would be more like five days. Which I thought I couldn't really afford ...

So I decided to keep sailing for a bit. I knew I couldn't go up the canal without an engine, but I started to think about how I could get myself in the same place as a replacement starter motor in less than five days. I ordered one for delivery to Aberdeen on Friday (a cheap Chinese one - not a heartbreaking investment if I had to find another solution, and a useful spare ...)

So.

Wednesday evening I lifted anchor and sailed over to Kylakin, using the dinghy to manoeuvre. The anchorage in Kyle of Lochalsh was a bit crowded and I was quite near other boats. Off the beach in Kylakin I would have more swinging room. Lifting the anchor with the engine plainly silent was a bit thought-provoking. I'm sure there were a few nervous onlookers.

I visited friends in Skye on Thursday and thought further about options. I decided to leave the boat in Mallaig and take the train home - where I could collect the starter, get caught up with some work, have some meetings from my own workroom on Monday (instead of from the boat), and get a rest ...

The Mallaig to Glasgow train journey is one I've always wanted to try.

So I'm on the train now, Raasay is tied up safely in Mallaig, and I'll be back there about midnight on Tuesday with a replacement starter motor.

The trip from Kylakin to Mallaig:

I lifted anchor on Thursday night and used the slight breeze to control the boat through The Narrows (into the Sound of Sleat), anchoring in Bernera Bay. On Friday morning I headed for Mallaig, but ended up using the dinghy as a tug for about ten miles.

VID_20210723_080332264


No comments:

Post a Comment

Varnish ...

Some new/refurbished items. The old locker lid was on the point of failure, and I had this nice piece of mahogany ... The cockpit step is fr...