Friday 3 February 2023

A gruesome experience ...

 



I've been doing some rewiring - of which more anon - and had disconnected the electric bilge-pump.

As I struggled with a torch and screwdriver in an awkward place, I heard a trickle of water. At first I thought it must be coming from outside the boat. Then I looked in the bilges ...

It didn't take me long to find its source. The cooling water feed to the engine has a take-off in it - a t-piece - to supply the salt-water tap at the kitchen sink. The little barbed insert was obviously brass, and had rotted away.

I always close all the seacocks when I leave the boat for any length of time. Sometimes it seems excessive.

Sometimes it seems like exactly the right thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Varnish ...

Some new/refurbished items. The old locker lid was on the point of failure, and I had this nice piece of mahogany ... The cockpit step is fr...