Tuesday 19 November 2013

Aries Repair

Aries RepairAries RepairAries RepairAries Repair

Aries Repair, a set on Flickr.
I replaced the Delrin bearings on the servo paddle shaft. The most scary part of this job is removing the pin that the shaft hangs from.

The 'rebuilding tips' page from the Aries vane gear contains the following instructions:

"Lay the Vane Gear down flat on a concrete surface; place hard blocks close to either side of No 59. Find the largest sledgehammer you can find and with an appropriate 'drift' give No 59 the hardest blow you can manage. Avoid light taps as this swags out the end of the shaft."

Stirring stuff.

It took me a day or two to prepare myself psychologically. But it did work.

I used a 16lb hammer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Overdue Cosmetics ... ?

  The companionway steps have been pretty manky for a long time. I took them home to get them sanded and re-varnished - Angus did the work, ...