Saturday 22 July 2023

Aith Voe to Fair Isle

 


On Friday I sailed from Aith Voe to Fair Isle. It was a slow start with very ligth winds until I got south of Bressay, and then things picked up and I had a long run at 7 knots over the ground. Overall (including the start) I did about 48  miles in 9 hours.

Today (Saturday) I took advantage of the good weather and light winds (which wouldn't have taken me anywhere fast) to explore Fair Isle again. I'll post photos presently.

Tomorrow I'm heading for Pierowall - another 40 mile sail, but with brisk winds throughout from the NE at first, and more Northerly later. I'll stay in Pierowall (or environs) for a day and then start heading south. Wind directions are looking changeable, which will affect progress. The tides through Orkney are also very strong, so I'll need to time moves carefully.

Fair Isle is physically stunning. This is the third time I've been here, but I could easily stand another visit. I had my bike with me this time, which made a big difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Varnish ...

Some new/refurbished items. The old locker lid was on the point of failure, and I had this nice piece of mahogany ... The cockpit step is fr...