Friday 14 July 2023

Scalloway to Lerwick



This was probably a daft idea. Certainly the most difficult way of saving a five-mile bus journey I could have come up with ...

My son, Edan, was getting off a ferry on Friday morning, and I was going to meet him. My initial plan was to sail around near Scalloway for a couple of days exploring the firths, and then cycle over to Lerwick early on Friday morning.

Then I thought that maybe sailing from Scalloway to Lerwick might also be interesting, and would bring the boat into the place that he would like better. I thought, also, that I could take a couple of days about it - there was St. Ninian's Isle, for one thing, and also some attractive bays sheltered from the NE weather on the other side.

But they weren't ... by the time I rounded Sumburgh Head, I realised that the swell was coming from the south east, right into the bays I thought I might anchor in. ('Windy' would have shown this, if I had been paying attention to anything but the wind ...)

Then I looked up the almanac entry for Lerwick and discovered that the marina doesn't really handle visiting yachts - the Port Authority has a few spaces on pontoons and alongside. There are also a few anchorages. It was all a bit messy for the end of a long tiring day, so I was happy to take the PA advice and anchor in Aith Voe on the north side of Bressay. I'd noticed this on the chart, but it looked as though it was full of a 'marine farm'. It wasn't. Unless this is something going on on the seabed ...

I went round to a Pontoon in Lerwick on Wednesday morning.


This interesting vessel ('Trinovante') was also in Aith Voe:











No comments:

Post a Comment

Varnish ...

Some new/refurbished items. The old locker lid was on the point of failure, and I had this nice piece of mahogany ... The cockpit step is fr...